Welcome to Ford Creek Outfitters and Guest Ranch. Located northwest of Augusta, Montana, on the eastern slope of the world-renowned Rocky Mountain Front.
A Big Game Hunter and Horseman’s Ultimate Paradise
Montana big game trophy hunting is our specialty. Since 1955, our reputation has grown steadily for smoothly run Fair Chase big game hunts. Our goal is to provide each of our hunting guests with an unequaled big game hunting experience. Ford Creek Outfitters are experienced professional guides and outfitters, serving delicious home-cooked meals, we use the finest outdoor equipment, provide gentle horses and back country transportation for your comfort and safety. Ford Creek Outfitters Guest Ranch is located 18 miles west of Augusta, Montana just south of the Sun River Game Range on the Montana Rocky Mountain Front. The Game Range is a National Treasure of magnificently antlered trophy elk. Take your pick of our five rifle hunts during the 37 days of general rifle season in Montana starting late October through the end of November, taking in both the Mule Deer and Whitetail rut seasons.
2021 Elk & Deer Rifle Season in Montana Opens
Counting Down to October 23, 2021
Guided Hunts for Resident and Migratory Bull Elk and Buck Deer
Hunt heavy rutting Whitetail and Mule Deer along with heavy-tined migrating Bull Elk. Expect long range shots in open country or right up close on the edge of scattered timber pockets. Bulls aged 5-9 and scoring 300-385 are migrating from the Wildernesses to Winter Range mid to late October and November. Every hunt has excellent potential for Great Bulls while they are traveling to Winter Range on both sides of our Ranch. Mule Deer aged 5-8 and scoring 160-220 start rutting in thefirst few days of November and rut into December. Whitetails aged 3-6 and scoring 130-150 are seen on virtuallyevery hunt. Heavy rut activity is from mid November on.
Your Hunting Trip Includes
- First class heated cabins with comfortable mattresses.
- Cabins have either an attached bath or walk-to bathhouse.
- Light housekeeping is provided.
- Dinner on your arrival night after settling into your cabin.
- Full time cook preparing delicious entrees and desserts daily.
- Three hardy home cooked meals daily during your six-day hunt.
- Breakfast two hours before daylight on hunt days.
- Lunch packed fresh each morning for the field.
- Vast selection of snacks and fruit for the field.
- Dinner after your hunting day at Ford Creek Guest Ranch.
- Light breakfast on your departure morning.
- Experienced professional guides with sharp eyes and keen ears.
- Gentle mountain saddle horses, riding mules and pack mules.
- Comfortable western saddles with wide stirrups for pack boots.
- Rifle scabbard large enough for most scopes and barrels.
- Photographing you and your trophy following your successful hunt.
- Your trophy will be caped and quartered in the field and packed out of the backcountry in new clean fresh game bags.
- The backbone, leg bones and brain will be removed to comply with Montana State Laws
- Scull and antler preparation for hunters who fly home.
- Prep your meat for travel, skinning, deboning, wrapping, labeling and packaged in heavy-duty boxes with plastic liners and then frozen ready for your trip home.
- Cutting table, knives, supplies are available if you want to cut your own game.
- Space is available to hanging your meat if you prefer to take it home in quarters.
- Our staff will be available to assistance in loading your trophies and meat into your vehicle at the time of your departure.
- Transportation of your antlers & capes to Monarch Taxidermy in Helena, Mt. if you elect to have them do you taxidermy work.
- Freezer storage for your capes and meat will be provided until your departure
Gear & Guns
We like talking “gear and guns” so please feel free to give us a call or drop us an email anytime you would like to discuss details or have any questions on gear and guns for your upcoming hunt.
A detailed “gear and guns” equipment list is on our website (below). Print it off and use it for a complete checklist on your personal gear to bring with you and be sure to add any of your own personal items to customize the list for your own gear and guns list.
Good set of binoculars and scope is highly recommended, good glass is a key in the big country we hunt. Range finders can assist you in making an accurate shot when distances are beyond 100 yards. Quality riflescopes mounted in “steel rings” is highly recommended. Hunting guests have had several malfunctions with aluminum scope rings and bases over the years due to the climate changes. One exception is the aluminum rings made by Night Force, they seem to work well with temperate changes. We do not fire rifles at Ford Creek Guest Ranch before you start your hunt. We keep the nearby area a quiet zone we are in elk country. We do not loan rifles or have ammunition for sale so bring a trusted reliable rifle and the appropriate amount of ammunition for your hunt.
* We do not sight in rifles at Ford Creek Guest Ranch at our rifle range once hunting season starts, the key reason is that we are in big game country at the guest ranch. So please make sure your rifle is sighted in prior to arriving at Ford Creek Guest Ranch.
Quality waterproof/weather scope in straight 4 and 6 power or variable 2×7, 3×9, 4×12, 2.5×8, 3.5×10, 4.5×14 works well in the big country we hunt. Scopes above 14 power are not suggested on this hunt. We recommend that you check your riflescope several times during the day while you are hunting to make sure it is dialed down to the lowest power. Checking your safety frequently is good habit to get into. Spotting scopes are not needed for most applications on this hunt but you are welcome to bring them if you are willing to back it during your hunt.
A cell phone is recommended to be carried with each hunter on your hunt. Enter 406-562-3672 for Ford Creek Guest Ranch. You might be able to call the ranch if needed, but cell service is spotty at best. Also consider bringing a spare power pack and cord for your cell phone as the cold weather has a tendency to zap the power of cell phones, cameras and other electronic devises. A GPS is not necessary but is fine to carry if you don’t mind the extra weight in your day pack.
Ford Creek Outfitters and Guest Ranch
15245 Benchmark Road
Augusta, MT 59410
Your Hosts and Montana Licensed Outfitters
Travis Barker #26177, Insured
Liz Barker #493, Insured
Ford Creek Outfitters and Guest Ranch
c/o Travis Barker
P.O. Box 329 • Augusta, MT 59410
Travis Cell: 1 (406) 781-9333
Trophy Ranch Office: 1 (406) 562-3672
Please leave a message on both numbers for faster call back… often we are outside working with livestock and cannot get to the phone at the time of your call, but we are around and we will get back to you shortly.
GPS Coordinates: 47°24’56.9″N 112°41’28.9″W
References available from Travis by e-mail
Montana Outfitter and Guide Association
Montana Professional Wilderness Outfitters Association
Safari Club International